5 tips for taking care of your jewelry

Posted by Knikki Murrell on

Jewelry care and recommendations for cleaning and storing your jewelry. This list is not all inclusive and only provides warnings for some of the most common improper practices used to clean jewelry.

 

Tip 1 graphic of a hand with pearls laid on it.

Tip #1: The suns harmful rays can bleach gemstones over time.

Over time, and in excess, they can also fade or damage some gemstones, such as amethyst, kunzite, topaz and shell cameos. Pearls and other delicate materials will bleach under extreme exposure to light. Other gems, especially amber, can darken over time when exposed to too much light.

 

Tip #2: Keep your jewelry away from chemicals

Everyday substances like hairspray, lotion, perfume or other cosmetics can contain chemicals that will permanently damage the surface of your pearls and other delicate or porous gems (like turquoise). Fine jewelry should be removed before diving into a chlorinated swimming pool or before using household cleaners. Many of these cleaners contain ammonia, which can be too harsh for delicate gems or vintage jewelry. Chlorine bleach, another common household solvent, can pit or damage gold alloys.

 

image of a lady cleaning her jewelry

 

Tip #3: THE SAFEST CLEANING METHODS ARE ALSO THE EASIEST.

← Older Post